How Can I Reduce My Water Usage?
Published on: March 2, 2022
Quick tips for reducing water usage in Brevard County, Florida….
- Check Your Toilet: place a few drops of food coloring into the tank (not the bowl). Don’t flush. If you notice colored water entering the bowl you have a leak.
- Stop Flushing Things: Bad habit of flushing garbage like tissues down the toilet? Stop.
- Water Bottle Trick: Fill 1-2 water bottles with 1-2” of sand or stones and then water. Place in the back of your tank. This will reduce the amount of water used to flush without impacting efficiency.
- Timed Showers: Get in a routine that’s more efficient and set an alarm so you don’t wastewater. Every minute uses 5-10 gallons.
- Flow Restrictors: Consider installing flow restrictors and/or efficient showerheads.
- Turn Off Water When Not In Use: this includes when brushing your teeth, when shaving, stepping away from the sink, and between each dish when you’re soaping things up or cleaning vegetables.
- Wait to Do Laundry: Only run your washing machine for FULL loads, not just for a few items.
- Have You Plumbing Inspected: a professional can audit your plumbing and find signs of wear, opportunities for energy savings, and/or leaks. Even a small drip can waste thousands of gallons a year.