As a home or business owner you’ll no doubt run into plumbing issues from time to time. Here are a few tried and true tips to avoid running into them in the first place.
- Avoid Leaky Pipes and Faucets: Often due to wear and damage over time, be mindful of turning handles in a slow smooth motion on and off. Also, keep an eye out for small drips or visible lime or rust build up, an indication a problem is on the horizon.
- Clean Your Drains: Grease, hair and other debris can gunk up drains fast. Regularly using a non-corrosive drain cleaner can prevent this type of build up from reaching critical mass. It’ll also help to eliminate odors.
- Prevent Debris From Entering Pipes: Check to make sure all of your drains are outfitted with drain screens.
- Flush Pipes Regularly: Running hot water and with some vinegar (and even baking soda + vinegar) can help to keep pipes clean.
- Hot Water Heater: Check the pressure value frequently to ensure it is within the range stated by the manufacturer. If suggested by the manufacturer, periodic flushing of the tank can prevent sediment build up.
- Stop Tossing Things Down the Toilet: Do not flush cotton balls, dental floss or female hygiene products down the toilet.