Top 5 maintenance tips for your hot water heater
It is important to maintain your hot water heater in order to extend its lifespan and prevent breakdowns. Luckily, there are some easy maintenance tips you can follow to keep your heater running smoothly in your Cocoa Beach or Brevard County area home.
- Check the anode rod regularly. The anode rod is responsible for protecting the tank from rust and corrosion. Over time, the anode rod will slowly degrade and need to be replaced. You should check it every few months to see if it needs to be replaced.
- Drain the tank annually. Draining the tank helps to remove sediment that has accumulated at the bottom. Sediment can cause the heater to work less efficiently and over time can damage the tank. You should drain the tank at least once a year.
- Flush the tank regularly. Flushing the tank helps to remove any buildup of minerals that can occur over time. This build-up can cause the tank to work less efficiently and over time can damage the tank. You should flush the tank at least once a year.
- Check the water heater for leaks. Leaks can occur at any time and can be damaging to your home. If you notice a leak, you should shut off the water to the heater and call a plumber.
- Have the heater serviced regularly. It is a good idea to have the heater serviced by a professional every few years. This will help to ensure that the heater is running efficiently and that there are no issues that could cause problems in the future.